Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The aqueous component of the cytoplasm of a cell, within which various organelles and particles are suspended.
- ‘Products of these genes are targeted into at least three cellular compartments: cytosol, chloroplasts, and mitochondria.’
- ‘In thin root sections, more intense fluorescence was observed in the cytosol than in the cell wall.’
- ‘These biochemical studies were instrumental for understanding the metabolite flux between plastid and cytosol.’
- ‘Some enzymes of glucan metabolism occur in the cytosol of leaf cells, but it is not known if they participate in metabolism of starch or of other substrates.’
- ‘Ion-selective microelectrodes have been used to measure the activities of ions in the apoplast, cytosol and vacuole of single cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.