Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branches of biology and medicine concerned with the structure and function of plant and animal cells.
- ‘Our study further demonstrated that the results of pericardial cytology do not influence patient survival.’
- ‘In both cytology and histology, the largest numbers of tests were ordered on those patients age 21 to 64.’
- ‘Histopathology, cytology, and microbiology confirmed the diagnosis of intestinal tuberculosis.’
- ‘Sputum cytology showed atypical cells suspicious of bronchogenic carcinoma.’
- ‘The brush cytology again revealed distinctive features of endometrial cells.’
- ‘Urine cytology, which checks the number and appearance of cells in urine samples, often fails to detect early tumors.’
- ‘A repeat pleural fluid cytology on one of the occasions was suggestive of signet-ring cell carcinoma.’
- ‘HPV testing is significantly more expensive than pap tests and liquid cytology because it involves costly DNA analysis.’
- ‘At Wolverhampton she specialised in cytology and introduced the cervical cytology screening service.’
- ‘Combined cytology and HPV DNA testing should not be performed more often than every three years.’
- ‘The diagnosis should be confirmed by biopsy or brush cytology.’
- ‘Urine cytology may be helpful in ruling out transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder.’
- ‘Brush biopsy is a common technique used to sample cells from lesions or suspicious areas for cytology.’
- ‘Digital cervical images and cytology and histology slides were externally reviewed to maximize patient safety.’
- ‘Urine cytology showed transitional cells only, but a brush biopsy from the renal pelvis revealed atypical cells.’
- ‘Vavilov was an early student of Bateson and was thoroughly grounded in genetics and cytology.’
- ‘The laboratory medicine department of cytology at York Hospital also received a regional training award at the ceremony for its cervical screening work.’
- ‘The final diagnosis was confirmed by cytology, histology, or clinical follow-up.’
- ‘New technologies for cytology screening have been promoted to physicians and the public.’
- ‘Aspiration cytology showed no evidence of atypical cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.