Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The cytoplasmic division of a cell at the end of mitosis or meiosis, bringing about the separation into two daughter cells.
- ‘Actin filaments and associated proteins are responsible for cellular movement, cytokinesis, and phagocytosis.’
- ‘Structural proteins are also used during mitosis and cytokinesis, the processes by which a cell reproduces itself.’
- ‘Analysis of the double-mutant phenotype indicated that at the nonpermissive temperature, cells failed to undergo cytokinesis efficiently.’
- ‘The key developmental processes of cytokinesis and cell expansion require vesicle trafficking to deposit new wall material and increase plasma membrane area.’
- ‘The ultimate conclusion of one cell cycle is cytokinesis resulting in two identical daughter cells.’
- ‘In this type of endosperm, which is the most common in cereals, development starts with several rounds of divisions of the triploid nucleus without cytokinesis.’
- ‘The phialides produce chains of uninucleate conidia after repeated mitotic division and cytokinesis.’
- ‘Micronuclei are observed in binucleated cells in which cytokinesis has been inhibited.’
- ‘The separation of the buds may reflect an additional bud neck defect or the completion of cytokinesis in these mutants.’
- ‘In plants, actin filaments have been implicated in cytokinesis, cell expansion and development.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.