Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The cytoplasmic division of a cell at the end of mitosis or meiosis, bringing about the separation into two daughter cells.
- ‘In plants, actin filaments have been implicated in cytokinesis, cell expansion and development.’
- ‘The separation of the buds may reflect an additional bud neck defect or the completion of cytokinesis in these mutants.’
- ‘Actin filaments and associated proteins are responsible for cellular movement, cytokinesis, and phagocytosis.’
- ‘Analysis of the double-mutant phenotype indicated that at the nonpermissive temperature, cells failed to undergo cytokinesis efficiently.’
- ‘The phialides produce chains of uninucleate conidia after repeated mitotic division and cytokinesis.’
- ‘Structural proteins are also used during mitosis and cytokinesis, the processes by which a cell reproduces itself.’
- ‘The ultimate conclusion of one cell cycle is cytokinesis resulting in two identical daughter cells.’
- ‘The key developmental processes of cytokinesis and cell expansion require vesicle trafficking to deposit new wall material and increase plasma membrane area.’
- ‘Micronuclei are observed in binucleated cells in which cytokinesis has been inhibited.’
- ‘In this type of endosperm, which is the most common in cereals, development starts with several rounds of divisions of the triploid nucleus without cytokinesis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.