One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of substances, such as interferon, interleukin, and growth factors, which are secreted by certain cells of the immune system and have an effect on other cells.
- ‘Status of various immune cells and intracellular secretion of cytokines were assessed by flow cytometry.’
- ‘Administration of cytokines or cytokine antagonists alters only one aspect of a complex immune response.’
- ‘Attracted by cytokines and growth factors, fibroblasts migrate into wound sites within several days of injury.’
- ‘Phagocytes themselves also secrete cytokines, which influence the behaviour of other cells.’
- ‘Numerous cytokines and growth factors have been implicated as mediators in the pathogenesis of pulmonary fibrosis.’
- ‘TNF is a cytokine, or cell protein, that acts as an inflammatory agent in rheumatoid arthritis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.