One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of substances, such as interferon, interleukin, and growth factors, which are secreted by certain cells of the immune system and have an effect on other cells.
- ‘TNF is a cytokine, or cell protein, that acts as an inflammatory agent in rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘Administration of cytokines or cytokine antagonists alters only one aspect of a complex immune response.’
- ‘Phagocytes themselves also secrete cytokines, which influence the behaviour of other cells.’
- ‘Numerous cytokines and growth factors have been implicated as mediators in the pathogenesis of pulmonary fibrosis.’
- ‘Status of various immune cells and intracellular secretion of cytokines were assessed by flow cytometry.’
- ‘Attracted by cytokines and growth factors, fibroblasts migrate into wound sites within several days of injury.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.