Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of compounds consisting of haem bonded to a protein. Cytochromes function as electron transfer agents in many metabolic pathways, especially cellular respiration.
- ‘Respiration in wheat endosperm was measured together with the activities of citrate synthase and cytochrome oxidase.’
- ‘Iron is used in actively proliferating cells for cytochrome and DNA synthesis.’
- ‘The majority of iron in humans is located in the porphyrin ring of heme that is incorporated into proteins and enzymes such as myoglobin, hemoglobin, cytochromes, catalases, and peroxidases.’
- ‘Hemoglobin, myoglobin, cytochromes, and other proteins are involved in oxygen transport and utilization.’
- ‘Our first protein target was cytochrome c because it contains a positively charged surface made up of several lysine and arginine residues.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.