One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of compounds consisting of haem bonded to a protein. Cytochromes function as electron transfer agents in many metabolic pathways, especially cellular respiration.
- ‘The majority of iron in humans is located in the porphyrin ring of heme that is incorporated into proteins and enzymes such as myoglobin, hemoglobin, cytochromes, catalases, and peroxidases.’
- ‘Our first protein target was cytochrome c because it contains a positively charged surface made up of several lysine and arginine residues.’
- ‘Hemoglobin, myoglobin, cytochromes, and other proteins are involved in oxygen transport and utilization.’
- ‘Iron is used in actively proliferating cells for cytochrome and DNA synthesis.’
- ‘Respiration in wheat endosperm was measured together with the activities of citrate synthase and cytochrome oxidase.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.