One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of polycyclic compounds produced by fungi, used experimentally in research for their property of interfering with cell processes.
- ‘Cells at a reduced cholesterol concentration were treated with cytochalasin D.’
- ‘In experiments that test the effect of actin, cells were incubated for 30 min before experiments in medium containing 20 M cytochalasin D to disrupt actin filaments.’
- ‘At low concentrations, cytochalasin D is reported to inhibit actin polymerization.’
- ‘In stark contrast to cytochalasin, treatment with nocodazole did not produce a loss of any features; instead there was an increase in the density of filaments.’
- ‘We measured the effect of cytochalasin D mobilization of integrins on adhesion of a leukocyte cell line to both cultured endothelium and purified ligand substrates.’
1960s: from cyto- ‘cell’ + Greek khalasis ‘dislocation’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.