Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The arrangement of cells in a tissue, especially in specific areas of the cerebral cortex characterized by the arrangement of their cells and each associated with particular functions.Also called cytoarchitectonics
- ‘Our results were highly dependent on the cytoarchitecture of the neurons.’
- ‘It is well-known that the diffusion coefficient of small molecules depends on the viscosity and cytoarchitecture of the intracellular milieu.’
- ‘We demonstrate the complex cytoarchitecture of the planarian brain, despite the simple superficiality of the morphology.’
- ‘They rapidly destroyed the well-organized cytoarchitecture characteristic of a typical growing pollen tube.’
- ‘It is remarkable that the cytoarchitecture of the coupled neurites is designed to function as a single unit.’
- ‘The boundaries of the cytoarchitecture of the rat primary visual cortex were determined according to the previously described method.’
- ‘Expanded specific affinity theory specifies the advantages of small dry mass and dilute cytoarchitecture in impoverished systems.’
- ‘The cytoarchitecture of the perinuclear region of cells is well characterized, but other regions such as the lamellipodium and cellular projections are not.’
- 1.1 The study of cytoarchitecture.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.