Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A surgical operation to remove the urinary bladder.
- ‘One case each of leiomyosarcoma involved the bladder and kidney and had been treated by partial cystectomy and total nephrectomy, respectively.’
- ‘In extreme cases, surgical interventions, such as a cystectomy and ileocystoplasty procedure, have been used.’
- ‘All patients underwent cystectomy for bladder cancer and had regional lymph node metastases at the time of surgery.’
- ‘Radical cystectomy was performed 1 month after the initial operation.’
- ‘This patient underwent total cystectomy, and the resection specimen showed more typical areas of high-grade urothelial carcinoma with several prominent areas of gland formation.’
- ‘The patient made a full recovery after a partial cystectomy.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy and prostatectomy with bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy and appendectomy were performed.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy with bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection and creation of orthotopic neobladder was performed.’
- ‘As a result of the review, five radical cystectomies were avoided.’
- ‘A cystoscopic biopsy of the midline anterior wall of the bladder revealed a mucinous adenocarcinoma, which was treated by wide partial cystectomy.’
- ‘Choosing a hospital that either performs many cystectomies or has a high nurse-to-patient ratio minimizes post-operative complications after the procedure, according to a new study.’
- ‘The urologist recommended a radical cystectomy and ileal conduit as the best chance for a possible cure.’
- ‘The patient became transfusion dependent and subsequently underwent cystectomy and ileal conduit urinary diversion.’
- ‘Biopsies of cystoscopically evident flat lesions were performed, and the patient subsequently underwent a radical cystectomy.’
2A surgical operation to remove an abnormal cyst.‘an ovarian cystectomy’
- ‘Her medical history included a cholecystectomy, appendectomy, and ovarian cystectomy for a benign cyst, all performed approximately 20 years before this presentation.’
- ‘During a laparotomy for ovarian cystectomy on a 38-year-old woman, the surgeon encountered extensive adhesions, making identification of the anatomic landmarks difficult.’
- ‘She had a history of a right ovarian cystectomy several years earlier but no history of sexually transmitted diseases or pelvic inflammatory disease.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.