One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of Cyprus.
- ‘Greek Cypriots generally maintain close ties with friends of the same sex.’
- ‘Poles, Slovaks and Cypriots don't defer to Paris or Berlin.’
- ‘Makarios was not only the spiritual leader of Greek Cypriots, but was also their political leader.’
- ‘Both Greek and Turkish Cypriots prefer to think of themselves as living close to Europe rather than Africa and the Middle East.’
- ‘A Cypriot presidential spokesman said the majority of those on board were Greek Cypriots.’
- ‘For Cypriots, membership of the European Union is far down the list of political priorities.’
- ‘Greek and Turkish Cypriots will vote on reunification a week before Cyprus joins the EU on May 1.’
- ‘The Senate shall be composed of an equal number of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots.’
- ‘The border was partly reopened last year after pressure from Turkish and Greek Cypriots pushed their respective leaders into talks.’
- ‘A little older and a great deal larger than his peers, the 17-year-old Cypriot is built like a tank.’
2mass noun The dialect of Greek used in Cyprus.
- ‘Interviews with workers were conducted in English, and those with officials and social movement activists in Greek Cypriot.’
- ‘I am a philologist of the Athens University, specialising (after my retirement) in Cypriot linguistics and literature.’
1Relating to Cyprus or its people or the Greek dialect used there.
- ‘Andrew talks warmly of being raised in the northern suburbs of Melbourne to Greek Cypriot parents.’
- ‘Andre, 31, was born in Harrow to Cypriot parents before moving to Australia in 1979.’
- ‘Over the millennia, different settlers have tremendously influenced Cyprus, which is why Cypriot traditions consist of a mixture of influences remaining from settlers.’
- ‘The large communities of people of Cypriot, Italian, Polish, and Ukranian origin (to name only a few) to be found in many British cities are rarely thought of as constituting ethnic minorities.’
- ‘The Greek Cypriot school system has four levels, beginning with pre-primary education for children from two to five and a half years old.’
- ‘In London, we ate a lot of Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot food.’
- ‘During his free time, George likes going to the cinema with his Cypriot friends, and also to concerts.’
- ‘We hired a car and drove far away from the coastal tourist belt and up into the hills to the villages and monasteries in the Troodos Mountains to sample real Cypriot life.’
- ‘The sections on Greek, Cypriot, South African and then Italian food are equally colourful.’
- ‘In 1974, in a crowded railway compartment whistling through northern Italy, I found myself squeezed next to a Cypriot student.’
- ‘Taro a vegetable which was known in Byzantium but is not known in Greece, is often included in Cypriot casserole dishes, for which the general name is kapamas.’
- ‘As long ago as 800 BC the Greek poet Hesiod described a sweet Cypriot wine, produced from sun-dried grapes.’
- ‘We'll meet some of the island's leading conservationists and experience Cypriot village life.’
- ‘This Greek Cypriot cheese is one of few that can stand up to the heat of a barbecue without collapsing.’
- ‘Turkish, Greek and Cypriot shops often sell a large-leafed rocket in bunches, which has a strong, peppery taste and is quite fleshy.’
- ‘Fellow-hacks following in my tracks to Nicosia were directed to the hotel bar where I held court and briefed them on Cypriot affairs, which I had myself mugged up on the flight from England only a few hours earlier.’
- ‘Pambos became actively involved with Greek and Cypriot professional dancing at the age of 10.’
- 1.1 Denoting an ancient syllabic script related to the Minoan and Mycenaean scripts, which was used to write the Cypriot dialect of Greek from the 6th to the 3rd centuries BC.
- ‘The Minoans were not Greek and spoke the Cypriot language and so the established hypothesis was that there was some relation between Linear A and B and the Cypriot script.’
From Greek Kupriōtes, from Kupros ‘Cyprus’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.