One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘the 69-mile cyclosportive will take place on 18 August, on a closed road course’another term for sportive
- ‘Cyclosportives feature full route marking, support vehicles and sometimes motorcycle outriders, computer chip timing transponders, photographers en route, medals for finishers and so on.’
- ‘This program follows 600 amateur cyclists battling 780km, 19 Alpine cols and 21000m total ascent, in the World's Highest and Toughest cyclosportive.’
- ‘While all five pro races have an associated cyclosportive, Flanders Classics event coordinator Stijn Vermoere told VeloNews the pro events do not depend on the public rides for money.’
- ‘The event will be the UK's largest street party and England's first closed road cyclosportive.’
- ‘He has ridden France's brutal La Marmotte cyclosportive, which celebrates the culture around Le Bourg-d'Oisans and l'Alpe d'Huez and the iconic climbs in that area.’
1990s: French (short for randonnée cyclosportive), noun use of the feminine of the adjective cyclosportif, from cyclo- (see cyclo-) + sportif ‘relating to sport’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.