One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug with immunosuppressive properties used to prevent the rejection of grafts and transplants. A cyclic peptide, it is obtained from a fungus.
This drug is obtained from the fungus Trichoderma polysporum
- ‘He received an immunosuppressive maintenance regimen of cyclosporine, azathioprine, and cortancyl.’
- ‘Immunosuppressive drugs such as steroids and cyclosporin are successful in preventing rejection.’
- ‘The lung disease progressed over the last year despite treatment with steroids, cyclosporine, cloxacillin, and gamma globulin.’
- ‘Certain antibiotics like ceftrianxone and anti-transplant rejection drugs like cyclosporin increase your chances of forming gallstones.’
- ‘Other systemic immunosuppressive drugs, such as cyclosporine, azathioprine and methotrexate, may be added to steroid therapy.’
1970s: from cyclo- + -sporin (from Latin spora ‘spore’) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.