One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An encyclopedia.‘Bailey's Cyclopedia of Horticulture’
- ‘I have only been able to procure a few cyclopaedias of art and science.’
- ‘There are dictionaries, and cyclopaedias, and summaries, and synopses, and indexes, and catalogues on every imaginable subject.’
- ‘From the 20,000 reference books lying open to the consultation of all readers in the great rotunda of the British Museum reading room, to the small and select case of dictionaries, catalogues, cyclopaedias, and other works of reference in a town or subscription library, the interval is wide indeed.’
- ‘With the exception of cyclopaedias and dictionaries, almost every book that aims at being useful requires an index to make its store of knowledge accessible.’
- ‘No wonder the same three years have cut threefold the output of scientific, technical, medical and agricultural literature, reference books and cyclopaedias.’
Late 17th century: shortening of encyclopedia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.