Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A colourless flammable liquid cycloalkane obtained from petroleum or by hydrogenating benzene, and used as a solvent and paint remover.
- ‘Chloroform was removed from measured amounts of C6PS, C6PG, and C6PC stocks using a stream of nitrogen, and the lipid samples were dissolved in cyclohexane and lyophilized overnight.’
- ‘Although AVB has been shown to be relatively photostable in the polar protic solvent isopropanol it was relatively photolabile in the nonpolar solvent cyclohexane.’
- ‘Iodine is virtually insoluble in water but it will readily dissolve in cyclohexane.’
- ‘Catalytic hydrogenation adds six hydrogen atoms to produce cyclohexane, a colorless liquid with the properties of an alkane.’
- ‘After evaporating the chloroform under a stream of nitrogen, the samples were redissolved in cyclohexane and lyophilized.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.