One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The development or strengthening of an area of low pressure in the atmosphere, resulting in the formation of a cyclone.‘cyclogenesis is common on the lee side of the mountains at the locations of the Alberta and Colorado storm track’
- ‘Conditions are particularly suited to such cyclogenesis in winter off the east coasts of Asia and North America where horizontal temperature gradients are greatest.’
- ‘The low developed off the coast of Japan, one of the areas of cyclogenesis that affects this area.’
- ‘A cyclogenesis system is moving far north of the UK and is expected to pass over Ireland as it moves slowly eastwards towards Iceland.’
- ‘The main energy (the Yukon energy bundle) is more northerly track, perhaps producing cyclogenesis well off the east coast of Long Island.’
- ‘The atmospheric flow will also have an influence, as strong vertical wind shear can inhibit cyclogenesis.’
1920s: from cyclo- + genesis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.