A hydrocarbon with a molecule containing a ring of carbon atoms joined by single bonds.
- ‘The cycloalkanes are saturated hydrocarbons like the alkanes, but form rings with two hydrogen atoms per carbon.’
- ‘Cycloalkanes are fairly common in the world of organic chemistry, both man-made and natural.’
- ‘They had reacted a conjugated diene with a simple alkene to generate a cycloalkane.’
- ‘As we have shown, the use of a photomediator has a dramatic effect on the C - C bond forming reaction between alkynes and cycloalkanes in terms of reaction times and yields.’
- ‘The group of cycloalkanes are also known as naphthenes, as they are compounds of petroleum or naphtha’