One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Skintight knee-length shorts made of a stretch fabric, of a kind originally designed to be worn by cyclists.
- ‘She is wearing cycling shorts, a sports bra and an open track suit top.’
- ‘The first time I met him, he walked into the studio in his little cycling shorts and said: "Hi, I'm Robin," shook my hand and walked out again.’
- ‘He has blue eyes, short dark hair and wore a black top and cycling shorts and carried a rucksack.’
- ‘Most runners run in loose-fitting shorts made from synthetic fabrics or cycling shorts and cotton T-shirts.’
- ‘Looking stylish abroad is so important and there's no excuse to wear hideous clothing combinations like socks and sandals, saggy bikinis or cycling shorts on the beach.’
- ‘I don't feel a lot of nostalgia for the year when everyone started wearing cycling shorts, kids were mugged for their Nike trainers, Rick Astley topped the charts, and the Royals cavorted on It's a Knockout.’
- ‘Then as I started training, my sweat shirt was cast aside for a tank top and I traded in my track suit pants for cycling shorts.’
- ‘When we talk about getting fit, we are not recommending you trade your beer and cigarettes in for a box of tofu and some spandex cycling shorts.’
- ‘Have you ever gone in to a high-street shop wearing a pair of cycling shorts?’
- ‘It was what she called 'pedal pushers', and I assumed they were cycling shorts.’
- ‘I was never one of those fanatics who bought all the correct cycling gear (although I did have a pair of rather fetching/revealing Lycra cycling shorts!)’
- ‘Not so long ago cycling shorts were high fashion as the courier look in the early '90's swept through New York City.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.