Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Skintight knee-length shorts made of a stretch fabric, of a kind originally designed to be worn by cyclists.
- ‘It was what she called 'pedal pushers', and I assumed they were cycling shorts.’
- ‘She is wearing cycling shorts, a sports bra and an open track suit top.’
- ‘Most runners run in loose-fitting shorts made from synthetic fabrics or cycling shorts and cotton T-shirts.’
- ‘When we talk about getting fit, we are not recommending you trade your beer and cigarettes in for a box of tofu and some spandex cycling shorts.’
- ‘I don't feel a lot of nostalgia for the year when everyone started wearing cycling shorts, kids were mugged for their Nike trainers, Rick Astley topped the charts, and the Royals cavorted on It's a Knockout.’
- ‘I was never one of those fanatics who bought all the correct cycling gear (although I did have a pair of rather fetching/revealing Lycra cycling shorts!)’
- ‘Have you ever gone in to a high-street shop wearing a pair of cycling shorts?’
- ‘He has blue eyes, short dark hair and wore a black top and cycling shorts and carried a rucksack.’
- ‘Not so long ago cycling shorts were high fashion as the courier look in the early '90's swept through New York City.’
- ‘Then as I started training, my sweat shirt was cast aside for a tank top and I traded in my track suit pants for cycling shorts.’
- ‘Looking stylish abroad is so important and there's no excuse to wear hideous clothing combinations like socks and sandals, saggy bikinis or cycling shorts on the beach.’
- ‘The first time I met him, he walked into the studio in his little cycling shorts and said: "Hi, I'm Robin," shook my hand and walked out again.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.