Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport or activity of riding a bicycle. Cycle racing has three main forms: road racing (typically over long distances), pursuit (on an oval track), and cyclo-cross (over rough, open country).
- ‘The novel has the power to introduce the passion and complexity of the sport of cycling to a broader audience.’
- ‘Athletics is one of the four sports featured at the World Cup: swimming, cycling and basketball are the other three.’
- ‘Without serious reform, cycling will have no future and the sport's golden moments will live only in glossy books.’
- ‘The Australian team is admired very much in the world of cycling for its great team spirit.’
- ‘Nearly everything about cycling is more interesting than casual observers assume.’
- ‘National Park centres are open seven days a week to provide information about walking, cycling and riding.’
- ‘Technology impacts on many sports at the Olympics, not just swimming and cycling.’
- ‘Road cycling is very tactical; you have to use your head just as much as you have to use your legs.’
- ‘Gentle cycling and swimming can also help relieve stiffness.’
- ‘She is into gymnasium work and cycling, which she enjoys on winter evenings, as well as diving and water sports.’
- ‘There will then be a packed day of activities including soccer, cricket, an orienteering course, cycling and athletics.’
- ‘Road cycling has always had a dedicated following, with many attracted by the glamour of racing.’
- ‘USA Cycling is the national governing body for the sport of cycling in the United States.’
- ‘It is inspiring to see him giving so much to the sport of cycling in her memory.’
- ‘The secret is to start off gently and it might be best to think of cycling as a fun activity, rather than exhausting exercise.’
- ‘He was fond of outdoor activities and enjoyed swimming, hill-walking and cycling.’
- ‘He hopes to devote more time to hobbies including golf and cycling.’
- ‘You've mentioned before that finances can be pretty tight in the sport of cycling.’
- ‘Events such as swimming, golf, cricket, cycling and tennis will take place at other venues around the city.’
- ‘In 5- to 9-year-olds, cycling is the major single activity, apart from playing, which results in injuries.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.