One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A division of a road marked off with painted lines, for use by cyclists.
- ‘There has been a further call for the provision of a cycle lane on the West Road, which is a popular area for walkers and cyclists.’
- ‘Parents are blocking a cycle lane and parking on double yellow lines to drop off and pick up their children at school.’
- ‘She believes a cycle lane and proper pathway should be made on the road to the school to make it safer for all parents and children.’
- ‘I have even nearly been knocked off my bike by a driver who decided not to wait behind a car turning right but drove not only across the cycle lane but the pavement as well.’
- ‘A cycle lane is also to be provided, as are bays for bus stops and goods vehicles.’
- ‘The provision of a cycle lane should also be considered in tandem with a footpath for Maypark Lane.’
- ‘The shopping centre grounds will be landscaped, incorporating a cycle lane and pedestrian walkways.’
- ‘There is room for both a cycle lane and two traffic lanes at this point.’
- ‘There are many instances where drivers have not given cyclists enough room, pedestrians have walked out into the road in front of cyclists or vehicles have obstructed a cycle lane.’
- ‘On one occasion I almost killed a cyclist who had to swerve out of the cycle lane to avoid a car parked in the lane during restricted hours.’
- ‘A cycle lane, access roads and improvements to junctions will be built into the scheme, scheduled to take a total of 15 years.’
- ‘He also wanted to know why a wider cycle lane had not been painted on Fishergate, as had been promised.’
- ‘The current footpath, little used by pedestrians, is more than wide enough to accommodate a cycle lane.’
- ‘The wide path is clearly and distinctly divided into two halves - one half for pedestrians and the other half as a cycle lane.’
- ‘Whether a cycle lane is beneficial to cyclists is doubtful as there are cars parked in the cycle lane most of the time.’
- ‘The agency said the work will improve road safety, especially for cyclists who will get their own cycle lane.’
- ‘At the same time as the work is being carried out on the lights, Folds Road will be slightly widened for a cycle lane.’
- ‘There would be room for a cycle lane on almost all our roads.’
- ‘I feel a lot safer on the way to the station than on the return journey, which does not have a cycle lane.’
- ‘The creation of a contra-flow cycle lane in Wimbledon town centre has been struck out of proposals to improve traffic conditions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.