One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A division of a road marked off with painted lines, for use by cyclists.
- ‘The agency said the work will improve road safety, especially for cyclists who will get their own cycle lane.’
- ‘At the same time as the work is being carried out on the lights, Folds Road will be slightly widened for a cycle lane.’
- ‘The shopping centre grounds will be landscaped, incorporating a cycle lane and pedestrian walkways.’
- ‘A cycle lane, access roads and improvements to junctions will be built into the scheme, scheduled to take a total of 15 years.’
- ‘The creation of a contra-flow cycle lane in Wimbledon town centre has been struck out of proposals to improve traffic conditions.’
- ‘He also wanted to know why a wider cycle lane had not been painted on Fishergate, as had been promised.’
- ‘There is room for both a cycle lane and two traffic lanes at this point.’
- ‘Parents are blocking a cycle lane and parking on double yellow lines to drop off and pick up their children at school.’
- ‘The wide path is clearly and distinctly divided into two halves - one half for pedestrians and the other half as a cycle lane.’
- ‘There would be room for a cycle lane on almost all our roads.’
- ‘On one occasion I almost killed a cyclist who had to swerve out of the cycle lane to avoid a car parked in the lane during restricted hours.’
- ‘The provision of a cycle lane should also be considered in tandem with a footpath for Maypark Lane.’
- ‘Whether a cycle lane is beneficial to cyclists is doubtful as there are cars parked in the cycle lane most of the time.’
- ‘There are many instances where drivers have not given cyclists enough room, pedestrians have walked out into the road in front of cyclists or vehicles have obstructed a cycle lane.’
- ‘I feel a lot safer on the way to the station than on the return journey, which does not have a cycle lane.’
- ‘There has been a further call for the provision of a cycle lane on the West Road, which is a popular area for walkers and cyclists.’
- ‘I have even nearly been knocked off my bike by a driver who decided not to wait behind a car turning right but drove not only across the cycle lane but the pavement as well.’
- ‘A cycle lane is also to be provided, as are bays for bus stops and goods vehicles.’
- ‘She believes a cycle lane and proper pathway should be made on the road to the school to make it safer for all parents and children.’
- ‘The current footpath, little used by pedestrians, is more than wide enough to accommodate a cycle lane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.