Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organic compound containing a carbon atom linked to both a cyanide group and a hydroxyl group.
- ‘Although chiral a-hydroxy aldehydes are interesting compounds, their synthesis from chiral cyanohydrins has always been difficult.’
- ‘Formaldehyde reacts with the sodium cyanide to form formaldehyde cyanohydrin.’
- ‘Optically active cyanohydrins with high levels of enantiomeric purity were obtained following a simple procedure.’
- ‘Therefore, it would appear that acetone cyanohydrin represents little risk to the environment under current production and use.’
- ‘Additionally, optically active catalysts based on lanthanides for the asymmetric synthesis of cyanohydrins have been reported in the literature.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.