An organic compound containing a carbon atom linked to both a cyanide group and a hydroxyl group.
- ‘Although chiral a-hydroxy aldehydes are interesting compounds, their synthesis from chiral cyanohydrins has always been difficult.’
- ‘Formaldehyde reacts with the sodium cyanide to form formaldehyde cyanohydrin.’
- ‘Optically active cyanohydrins with high levels of enantiomeric purity were obtained following a simple procedure.’
- ‘Therefore, it would appear that acetone cyanohydrin represents little risk to the environment under current production and use.’
- ‘Additionally, optically active catalysts based on lanthanides for the asymmetric synthesis of cyanohydrins have been reported in the literature.’