Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A division of microorganisms that are related to the bacteria but are capable of photosynthesis. They are prokaryotic and represent the earliest known form of life on the earth.
- ‘Click on the buttons below to find out more about the Cyanobacteria.’
- ‘They occur only in Cyanobacteria and Rhodophyta.’
- ‘That is, all Cyanobacteria and algal chloroplasts are, together, all of the descendants of some unique common ancestral cyanobacterium.’
- ‘Only Aquificales and Cyanobacteria do not present evidence of such a structuring, possibly because of a sampling effect, since only a few bacteria of these phyla have been presently sequenced.’
- ‘The significant buildup probably began about two billion years ago, with the appearance of Cyanobacteria.’
- 1.1cyanobacteria Microorganisms of the Cyanobacteria division; blue-green algae.‘cultures of algae and cyanobacteria’
- ‘In Florida scrub, soil crusts include algae, cyanobacteria, and diatoms.’
- ‘They have discovered cellulose biosynthesis in nine species of cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae.’
- ‘Unlike any other flagellate algae, they contain phycobilins as accessory photosynthetic pigments, as do red algae and cyanobacteria.’
- ‘Most of the lichen is composed of fungal filaments, but living among the filaments are algal cells, usually from a green alga or a cyanobacterium.’
- ‘We conclude that there is no evidence available to support assignment of Halysis either to chlorophyte algae or to cyanobacteria.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kuaneos ‘dark blue’ + plural of bacterium.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.