Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A salt or ester of hydrocyanic acid, containing the anion CN− or the group —CN. The salts are generally extremely toxic.Compare with nitrile
- ‘The spectra that are observed indicate that small molecules, such as cyanide, methane, and cyanogen, can assemble in outer space.’
- ‘Both cyanides and nitriles have the general formula RCN with a triple bond between the carbon and nitrogen (R-CN).’
- ‘The few exceptions to this definition are the oxides of carbon, the carbonates, the cyanides (compounds of carbon, nitrogen, and at least one more element), and a few other families of compounds.’
- ‘The case hardening medium is a molten, nitrogen-bearing, fused-salt bath containing either cyanides or cyanates.’
- ‘This may be true, but chemically the cyanide will adsorb onto a cell membrane increasing the electron donor or antioxidant capacity of the cell.’
- 1.1[mass noun] Sodium or potassium cyanide used as a poison or in the extraction of gold and silver.
- ‘The committee was also worried that the gold will be extracted using cyanide which would cause irreparable damage to the East Rhodope Mountains.’
- ‘In countries like Indonesia and Vietnam coral reefs are being poisoned with cyanide and stripped of their fish to satisfy this voracious live fish food trade.’
- ‘How are you applying this technique to something which has been so much in the news recently and that is the question of cyanide used for the extraction of gold?’
- ‘Pharmacologists said it was possible, though difficult, to extract cyanide from potassium ferrocyanide, a compound found in wine and ink.’
- ‘While he was recovering in hospital, someone somehow poisoned him with cyanide.’
Early 19th century: from cyanogen + -ide.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.