One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A greenish-blue colour which is one of the primary subtractive colours, complementary to red.
sky-blue, azure, cobalt, cobalt blue, sapphire, cerulean, navy, navy blue, saxe, saxe blue, oxford blue, cambridge blue, ultramarine, lapis lazuli, indigo, aquamarine, turquoise, teal, teal blue, cyan, of the colour of the sky, of the colour of the seaView synonyms
- ‘The report said something about cyan, blue in colour, remember?’
- ‘Solid streaks of cerulean blue or vibrant cyan give the small details she depicts a life that can only be attained through extensive, lucid observation.’
- ‘Fake furs are presented in an especially trendy style - in fashionable colours from magenta to lime green and cyan blue.’
- ‘During each pass, one of the four colors - cyan, magenta, yellow and black - was placed on the paper.’
- ‘Colour printers use at least four inks - cyan, magenta, yellow and black - but some of them use up to nine inks to improve photographic quality.’
- ‘Colour printers use four inks - cyan, magenta, yellow and black - and the coloured inks are more expensive than black toner.’
- ‘It prints in cyan, magenta, yellow, and clear or white.’
- ‘As an aside, a mixture of cyan, magenta and yellow should produce black, but in reality a touch of black is needed to get it.’
- ‘Yellow, magenta, and cyan are not the primary pigment colors, as one book had it.’
- ‘Colour Correction filters are available in primary colors - green, red and blue - and printing colors - yellow, cyan and magenta.’
- ‘Jones scans his photographs to separate them into process colors - cyan, magenta and yellow.’
- ‘We admired the view and watched the sun set over Dublin with dramatic streaks of pinks, cyan, purple and red.’
- ‘I had said all of the colors from white or black to fuchsia and cyan, but for some reason I could never say purple.’
- ‘Similarly, a short soak in water containing a little acid shifts the colour towards cyan, each acid producing a slightly different hue.’
- ‘Most photoprinters are actually inkjet printers that offer six-colour printing by adding light cyan and light magenta to the usual cyan, magenta, yellow and black.’
- ‘His hair was a deep, rich purple accented by streaks of cyan that helped to bring out the color of his lavender eyes.’
- ‘Mixing two of them produces cyan, magenta and yellow, also called the subtractive colors.’
- ‘‘In them, Ken has fused the rich colours of sky, sea and earth - ultramarine, cyan, terracotta - with neutrals to create works which are serene and yet striking,’ says David.’
- ‘That of a primary colour will be a mixture of the two other primaries: the additive complement of red is cyan, the subtractive complement is green.’
- ‘Hey, cyan is a blue hue, and ceanothus has beautiful blue flowers, so it makes sense.’
Late 19th century: from Greek kuaneos ‘dark blue’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.