One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Knives, forks, and spoons used for eating or serving food.
silverware, plate, silver plateView synonyms
- ‘It's like being at an all-you-can eat buffet and not having any serving cutlery.’
- ‘Don't even imagine spilling a fleck of gravy on it, and it seems a shame to sully that highly polished cutlery with messy old food.’
- ‘Natty got her plates and cutlery and the paintings and all the things that she said she couldn't do without…’
- ‘The fish were sent out with heated plates and a new set of cutlery: a knife and three-pronged fork to replace the soup spoons.’
- ‘One of the girls that was putting down the cutlery was putting the spoons next to the forks… on the left side of the plate.’
- ‘Everything - the food, the cutlery, the carpet on her floor, the view from her window - is safe and familiar.’
- ‘I can just see him sitting down to his tea and not being able to pick up his cutlery without twitching his knife and fork backwards and forwards in a rowing motion.’
- ‘The customers will be served Indian and Mughlai food in silver cutlery, which no other restaurant can boast of.’
- ‘Dishes and cutlery were scattered on kitchen tables, unmade beds gaped, just as their occupants had abandoned them.’
- ‘Danny is pushing his food around the plate with his cutlery glumly.’
- ‘Iris was prevented from answering immediately because as soon as she retrieved her cutlery she forked some pancake into her mouth.’
- ‘Sailors were assigned to messes, each of around ten to twenty-five men, and equipped with a stowable table, cutlery, plates and a bread bin.’
- ‘Out would come the silver cutlery and the special plates with the gold decoration.’
- ‘If she used the wrong cutlery for the wrong food, she had to demand a new fork/spoon for the occasion.’
- ‘They were at the same table, with the same food and cutlery.’
- ‘Harel heard her sigh and looked at her poking her food on the fine china plate with the silver cutlery.’
- ‘The cupboard above the sink is not a cupboard - it's rows of drying racks for your plates, glasses, cutlery, pots and pans.’
- ‘You know, that wacky ritual we do every day involving food and cutlery?’
- ‘It is in the spoons and cutlery section, however, the book will in many ways prove most useful to collectors, dealers and curators.’
- ‘Grandma brought a toaster, some plates, mugs, cutlery and food yesterday.’
- 1.1North American Cutting utensils, especially knives for cutting food.
- ‘She had already been into town that day to buy new cutlery and kitchen utensils.’
- ‘As the literature says, you need to use a cutting board to protect your cutlery, not the granite.’
- ‘I arrange some serviettes on the table, along with some cutlery and utensils.’
- ‘Not for nothing is David Mellor one of the leading designers in this country who has consistently turned out beautiful cutlery and utensils.’
Middle English: from Old French coutellerie, from coutelier (see cutler).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.