One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Attract a great deal of attention by trying to impress others.
- ‘While focusing on a narrowly defined data set, he manages to produce a volume that cuts a wide swath through the history of the motion picture industry.’
- ‘While they can't be used when you're standing or running, once they've been set in place, they can cut a wide swath across a battlefield with the high rate of fire.’
- ‘Blockhead's instrumentals cut a wide swath away from his other contemporaries.’
- ‘So, when you think about, it really cuts a wide swathe of people.’
- ‘This area will cut a wide swathe along largely low-lying land from the Route K roundabout to behind Tauriko township.’
- ‘After cutting a wide swath through dance music's hardest-hitting genres, Jackal & Hyde had such an itch to succeed that the duo plunged ahead and created its own brand of block-rocking sound.’
- ‘Now soy devotees are making more health claims - not approved by a government agency but based on dozens of scientific studies - that soy cuts a wide swath of health benefits flint shouldn't be ignored.’
- ‘The public personas of some writers cut a wide swath through the publishing world.’
- ‘Tavisome and Brodde in front of me have spread out to nearly a sword's length apart, and are cutting a wide swath through the enemy.’
- ‘His repertoire cuts a wide swath, from low key ‘still waters’ styles to edgy creations with unmistakable attitude.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.