One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A method of building a tunnel by making a cutting which is then lined and covered over.as modifier ‘a cut-and-cover tunnel’
- ‘It also does grading, foundation excavation, and cut-and-cover excavation for installing underground utilities and paves roads and parking areas.’
- ‘The cut-and-cover lines are so much more pleasant than the deep-down tracks.’
- ‘The architects of later pyramids ensured that there was adequate access to underground chambers by using cut-and-cover techniques rather than tunnelling.’
- ‘The line that runs beneath 41st Street was constructed later using cut-and-cover as well as tunneling techniques.’
- ‘A cut-and-cover operation requiring the excavation of 650,000 cubic yards of soil, the tunnel itself called for 130,000 cubic yards of concrete to be placed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.