One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet pastry case with a filling of egg custard, typically eaten cold.‘a plate of home-made custard tarts’
- ‘"The custard tarts are something special," she says.’
- ‘On the sweeter side, there were the Chinese-style custard tarts, and various types of toast slathered with chocolate or condensed milk and butter.’
- ‘She was only revived with the aid of a cup of tea, and a custard tart.’
- ‘We eventually get our custard tarts, still warm from the oven.’
- ‘I bought myself a new shirt and two custard tarts for a snack when I got home.’
- ‘With recipes for a classic custard tart and a mouth-watering fish pie, the chef demonstrates that milk is really tasty and versatile as well as good for you.’
- ‘Graham had chocolate eclairs and I treated myself to a small pack of custard tarts.’
- ‘The custard tarts were so delicious that a few ladies were to be seen with large take-away portions of these sweet morsels.’
- ‘The local pastry shops sell the famous, and irresistible, Portuguese custard tarts.’
- ‘I picked up a box containing two custard tarts.’
- ‘I enjoyed my custard tarts with a big mug of coffee and then had a good nap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.