One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large fleshy tropical fruit with a sweet yellow pulp.
- ‘Also known as custard apples, white sapotes have a superthin skin, greenish yellow to yellow.’
- ‘The fruit is generally regarded as having the best claim to the name custard apple, and this name would have priority if it were not applied in a confusing way to several other species.’
- ‘The racks on the footpath, even now, display almost all fruits, from pear to custard apple to grapes.’
- ‘Vaidya explains how jackfruit and cashews used to flourish, along with jungle fruits like custard apples.’
- ‘For fruit fanciers, there were two new varieties, a ‘compact canopy, cluster bearing’ sapota, suitable for dry flakes production, and a drought-tolerant custard apple.’
- ‘Why did New Zealand accept a variation to the Australian New Zealand Food Standard code that will allow irradiated mango, papaya, mangosteen, litchi, breadfruit, carambola, custard apple and rambutan to be imported into New Zealand?’
- ‘There are pyramids of sweet-smelling guavas, papayas, watermelons, pineapples, custard apples, lemons, limes and avocados.’
2The tree which bears the custard apple, native to Central and South America.
Genus Annona, family Annonaceae: several species
- ‘If you are growing custard apples, bananas, sapodillas and carambolas, they could all do with a dressing of citrus and fruit tree fertiliser spread evenly around under the leaf canopy.’
- ‘Dad's farm was about twenty five acres on which he grew things like custard apples and paw-paws and carrots.’
- ‘Around the garden she has fruit trees like guava, mango, jack fruit, figs, sapota, custard apple, avocado bulls-heart and in the centre is the foliage.’
- ‘For example, heat generation has turned up in certain plants of these ancient lineages of flowering plants: the magnolias, Dutchman's pipes, star anises, custard apples, and water lilies.’
- ‘The sitaphal might evoke associations with the consort of Ram but knowledge that the custard apple was brought into India by the Portugese from South America should put pay to any such assumptions!’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.