One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Covered by soft padding that provides comfortable support, especially for sitting or leaning on.‘she is sitting on a cushioned stool’
- ‘The one-legged chair was replaced with a comfortable, cushioned armchair.’
- ‘I sat in a large office, in a nice blue cushioned chair in front of the dean.’
- ‘The artist's major piece was an installation of nine ceramic babies seemingly stopped in the midst of crawling, on a cushioned cloth.’
- ‘The fan is cushioned with rubber grommets, mounted with long stainless steel bolts with the power cable running back into the case.’
- ‘The plaza accommodates 1,000 cushioned folding chairs plus standing room.’
- ‘The pillow has a 360-degree enclosure so your neck is cushioned no matter which way your head lolls.’
- ‘At dinner, we sit at a large shiny table in heavy chairs with cushioned seats.’
- ‘The floor is cushioned with durable but comfortable carpeting, and soft low sofas are the only real furniture.’
- ‘"Please, sit," she said, gesturing towards a cushioned bench.’
- ‘The High Priestess sat regally in a thickly cushioned, red velvet seat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.