One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Covered by soft padding that provides comfortable support, especially for sitting or leaning on.‘she is sitting on a cushioned stool’
- ‘The one-legged chair was replaced with a comfortable, cushioned armchair.’
- ‘At dinner, we sit at a large shiny table in heavy chairs with cushioned seats.’
- ‘"Please, sit," she said, gesturing towards a cushioned bench.’
- ‘The High Priestess sat regally in a thickly cushioned, red velvet seat.’
- ‘The fan is cushioned with rubber grommets, mounted with long stainless steel bolts with the power cable running back into the case.’
- ‘The pillow has a 360-degree enclosure so your neck is cushioned no matter which way your head lolls.’
- ‘The plaza accommodates 1,000 cushioned folding chairs plus standing room.’
- ‘I sat in a large office, in a nice blue cushioned chair in front of the dean.’
- ‘The artist's major piece was an installation of nine ceramic babies seemingly stopped in the midst of crawling, on a cushioned cloth.’
- ‘The floor is cushioned with durable but comfortable carpeting, and soft low sofas are the only real furniture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.