One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metabolic disorder caused by overproduction of corticosteroid hormones by the adrenal cortex and often involving obesity and high blood pressure.
- ‘The consensus was that women who present with hyperandrogenism and chronic anovulation, in the absence of congenital adrenal disorders, Cushing's syndrome, hyperprolactinemia, or tumors should be diagnosed with PCOS.’
- ‘If you often get skin infections or other infections, especially if the infections are unusual, you may have Cushing's syndrome or disease.’
- ‘Topical steroid products Contact eczema, bacterial and fungal infections, Cushing's syndrome, acne, skin atrophy and pigmentation disorders.’
- ‘It may be caused, for instance, by a reaction to certain medications or by such medical conditions as sleep apnea, Cushing's syndrome, thyroid dysfunction, kidney disease or adrenal gland tumors.’
- ‘This describes exactly the features of Cushing's syndrome, a condition caused by excess secretion of corticosteroids.’
- ‘Medical disorders such as Cushing's syndrome, hypothyroidism and hypogonadism rarely cause obesity.’
- ‘In Cushing's syndrome, overproduction of cortisol (a hormone produced in the adrenal glands) causes osteoporosis;’
- ‘Occasionally, stretch marks can be a symptom of Cushing's syndrome, a condition caused by too many steroid hormones.’
- ‘In a few of people, the underlying causes of the hypertension are known e.g. Cushing's syndrome, kidney disease or rarely, a tumour of the adrenaline-producing cells in the adrenal gland.’
- ‘To determine whether an adrenal mass is functioning, the patient should be assessed for signs and symptoms of Cushing's syndrome, pheochromocytoma or hyperaldosteronism.’
- ‘Over 2 years, she developed features of Cushing's syndrome with proximal myopathy, osteopenia, hypertension, depressive psychosis, and cushingoid appearance.’
- ‘However, medical therapy might be possible in certain patients, such as patients with Cushing's syndrome who are poor surgical candidates and patients with aldosterone-secreting tumors.’
- ‘Rarely, micronodular or macronodular ACTH-independent adrenal hyperplasia can be the cause of Cushing's syndrome.’
- ‘Subjects with abdominal obesity share many of the hormonal, metabolic, and circulatory characteristics of people with Cushing's syndrome.’
- ‘It can also be used as a monthly birth control pill, as well as a treatment for breast and prostate cancer, meningioma, Cushing's syndrome and other conditions.’
- ‘We decided that she did not have any clinical evidence of Cushing's syndrome and that her failed dexamethasone suppression tests were due to the effect of carbamazepine inducing the metabolism of dexamethasone.’
- ‘It is useful to search for signs of hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome, although obesity is rarely the sole presentation of these conditions in adolescence.’
- ‘Urinary free cortisol measurements are often used as an initial inexpensive screening test for patients with clinical symptoms of Cushing's syndrome.’
- ‘He published 400 papers, many of major importance, on subjects as diverse as acromegaly, Cushing's syndrome, gigantism, the effects of prolonged fasting, diabetes, and the hormone aldosterone.’
- ‘Both inhaled steroid medicines for asthma and steroid skin creams for eczema and other skin conditions can cause Cushing's syndrome, although this is rare.’
1930s: named after Harvey W. Cushing (1869–1939), American surgeon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.