Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having decorative curls or twists.‘a page of elaborately curlicued and unintelligible script’‘curlicued cornices and portals’
ornate, fancy, very elaborate, over-elaborate, embellished, curlicued, extravagant, flamboyant, baroque, rococo, fussy, busy, ostentatious, showy, wedding-cake, gingerbreadView synonyms
- ‘The first is a page of elaborately curlicued and unintelligible script.’
- ‘To build up these images, Martinelli apparently rendered the basic architecture in heavy lines and then added curlicued and curved accents.’
- ‘Closer study revealed that the exquisite curlicued tracery was actually steel-springed bars.’
- ‘In the fine tradition of royal memorabilia, the early designs are gilt-edged, curlicued and expected to generate millions of pounds.’
- ‘At the corners of the cube four stumpy pilasters rose to a quadrant of richly curlicued Corinthian capitals.’
- ‘In drawing, Cocteau's characteristic line, often curlicued but rarely having to rethink, has a bravura which become a visual signature.’
- ‘We went to a nearby restaurant, where we sat in curlicued wrought-iron chairs and reviewed my Sunday-school lesson while eating club sandwiches.’
- ‘The people who work there write your order in gorgeous curlicued Thai letters on the universally green waiter pad.’
- ‘The rounded-off curves of the figure's body and face make her seem of a piece with the curlicued chair.’
- ‘Curlicued iron tables and chairs on the flagstoned terrace have a grand view beyond the lawn.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.