One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The squawk box or sound curdler uses two loudspeakers of 350 watt output to emit two slightly different frequencies which combine in the ear to produce a shrill shrieking noise.’
- ‘Used at night, the curdler unit can produce a voodoo effect used to break up chanting, singing and clapping.’
- ‘You'll shudder and tingle watching Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, House on Haunted Hill, Night of the Living Dead and other blood curdlers starring Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, among others.’
- ‘The most dangerous blood curdlers are anger and stress.’
- ‘The count, who inspired the invention of the character in Bram Stoker's page-turning blood-curdler, allegedly had a fondness for drinking his victims’ blood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.