One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of copper with a valency of two; of copper(II).Compare with cuprous
- ‘True verdigris is actually a coating of cupric carbonate formed by weathering on copper, brass and bronze from age.’
- ‘These reactions depend on the ability of the reducing sugar to convert cupric sulfate to cuprous oxide with a resulting color change.’
- ‘Without chromium, however, this alloy is vulnerable to corrosion attack in reducing acids when oxidizing salts such as ferric or cupric chloride are present, even in the parts-per-million range.’
- ‘Briefly, the washed hair was digested in an alkaline solution, complexed by cysteine, urea, and cupric ion, then acidified with sulfuric acid.’
- ‘The oxidizing fluxes usually include cupric oxide or manganese dioxide, which decompose at copper alloy melting temperatures to generate the oxygen required.’
Late 18th century: from late Latin cuprum ‘copper’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.