Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for holding a plastic cup or other drinking container.
- ‘Car manufacturers boast of the number of cup holders their models contain.’
- ‘Unlike modern machines, they don't have cupholders, just a small toolbox for quick fixes in the field.’
- ‘There are also two additional cup holders positioned behind the gear lever.’
- ‘Front seat occupants get their own cup holders which pop out from the centre of the console.’
- ‘The cup holder should be connected directly to a coffee maker mounted on the seat back.’
- ‘A less happy result for American drivers is that the four cupholders are nothing to write home about.’
- ‘I know that cup holders in cars have been around for ages.’
- ‘I found myself wishing I had cup-holders in my car.’
- ‘The process also allows for part integration, like storage bins, map pockets and cup holders built into door panels.’
- ‘Craig Jensen, communications director of AES, hands over a molded cupholder with barely restrained glee.’
- ‘Only the tragic absence of respectable cup-holders needs to be addressed.’
- ‘The central back seat can be folded down to provide a useful tray, with two reasonably deep cup holders.’
- ‘Most vehicles have cupholders that carry 8-12 oz cups.’
- ‘Dell isn't moving so fast on another customer request: PCs with cupholders.’
- ‘The only thing I missed in its cabin is a cup holder.’
- ‘We make no apology for dwelling on the new Passat's cup-holders.’
- ‘I sometimes have a quarter or two sitting in the cup holder.’
- ‘The centre console also provides a couple of cup holders.’
- ‘Excessive force on the second row cup holders will cause them to break free.’
- ‘It contains - count 'em - no fewer than 11 cup holders.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.