One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of delaying or putting off doing something.
indecisiveness, indecision, irresoluteness, lack of resolution, hesitancy, hesitation, tentativenessView synonyms
- ‘Fleury's cunctations were disgusting to the ardent mind.’
- ‘There are some people who like to see you post next chapters without any vexing cunctations.’
- ‘Celerity ought to be contempered with cunctation.’
- ‘We advise you practice no cunctation in preparing for your future.’
- ‘Our capacity for cunctation is one of our most powerful and characteristic weapons.’
Late 16th century: from Latin cunctatio(n-), from cunctari ‘to delay’: see -ation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.