Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding. Cultivars are usually designated in the style Taxus baccata ‘Variegata’.See also variety
- ‘Plants from winter-type cultivars were first vernalized and then kept in the greenhouse.’
- ‘Plants of a given cultivar are generally closely spaced in groups.’
- ‘At present most transgenic plants are crop varieties or cultivars and the changes they received have been very simple.’
- ‘Many cultivars have bicolored petals and a striking yellow center.’
- ‘These are in agreement with previous field research on dry matter partitioning in plants with different rice cultivars.’
1920s: blend of cultivate and variety.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.