Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding. Cultivars are usually designated in the style "Taxus baccata" ‘Variegata’.See also variety (sense 2)
- ‘Many cultivars have bicolored petals and a striking yellow center.’
- ‘At present most transgenic plants are crop varieties or cultivars and the changes they received have been very simple.’
- ‘Plants from winter-type cultivars were first vernalized and then kept in the greenhouse.’
- ‘These are in agreement with previous field research on dry matter partitioning in plants with different rice cultivars.’
- ‘Plants of a given cultivar are generally closely spaced in groups.’
1920s: blend of cultivate and variety.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.