One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A writer, musician, artist, or other public figure who is greatly admired by a relatively small audience or is influential despite limited commercial success.‘the group were cult heroes on the US college rock circuit before finding worldwide fame in the 90s’
- ‘If he doesn't wake up and work on his flaws, he'll end up an out-of-control cult hero and little more.’
- ‘A real cult hero, he scored both goals as Leicester won last season's Worthington Cup.’
- ‘The character, voiced by Frank Oz, trained Luke Skywalker to defeat Darth Vader and is a cult hero among devotees.’
- ‘The Ramones were cult heroes until they called a halt in 1996, but they never really hit it as big as their imitators.’
- ‘The victory elevated McGowan to a cult hero within the company.’
- ‘In the US he is an unlikely cult hero as he writes a popular underground comic book based on his humdrum life.’
- ‘This self-taught artist has become a popular cult hero, adored by the public if not always by the critics.’
- ‘The artists behind gig posters are revered cult heroes.’
- ‘Playing that style has helped make him a cult hero for a relatively anonymous team in Nashville, just like he's been everywhere else he's played.’
- ‘Having made the leap from underground cult heroes to Gold-selling record-sellers in the space of one album, the Welsh rockers get a little bit darker with their second long-player.’
- ‘His incongruous style has made him a cult hero in Barcelona.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.