One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unsophisticated country person.as modifier ‘culchie food’
bumpkin, country bumpkin, country cousin, rustic, countryman, countrywoman, country dweller, daughter of the soil, son of the soil, peasant, provincial, oaf, lout, boor, barbarianView synonyms
- ‘According to their newfound, city sophistication, there were pickpockets and worse on every corner just waiting for the culchies.’
- ‘Dubliners will have to try even harder to pretend to care when listening to culchies moan about their problems.’
- ‘Proceeds from various events will be donated to the Arthritis Foundation of Ireland, while culchies compete for the coveted top prize of a jacket, gold cufflinks, a bag of spuds and a new pair of wellies.’
- ‘Some 22 culchies from 15 counties travelled to Lisselton to compete for one of the nation's most sought-after crowns.’
- ‘It is no longer a dowdy game played by culchies; it is now cool, trendy and, of course, lucrative for businesses that are along for the ride.’
Apparently an alteration of Kiltimagh ( Irish Coillte Mach), the name of a country town in County Mayo, Ireland.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.