One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for fastening together the sides of a shirt cuff, typically a pair of linked studs or a single plate connected to a short swivelling rod, passed through a hole in each side of the cuff.
- ‘Did you know that the right pen, tie and cufflinks can make you look as powerful as you'd like to be?’
- ‘For example, a man in a fine suit would take the extra step and slip on a classy pair of cufflinks to complete his look.’
- ‘I've taken heed of your advice that a watch is a man's single most important accessory, followed by the likes of cufflinks, a belt, pens, etc.’
- ‘You take out your best shirt, cufflinks, tie, tie clip, shoes, belt and hair products.’
- ‘He keeps the partial denture in a drawer with his cufflinks, which he has accumulated because he gets a pair for each Father's Day.’
- ‘Neither can the shirtsleeve protrude just the right length beyond the coat sleeve or be wide enough for the kinds of cufflinks you favour.’
- ‘For a picture-perfect look, try matching your cufflinks to your belt buckle and your watch.’
- ‘You might have a sleek shirt, but a nice set of cufflinks can make you look like a real powerhouse - never underestimate their appeal.’
- ‘If there were no holes, there would be no cufflinks.’
- ‘His shirt was white and puffier in the sleeves, buttoned with silver cufflinks.’
- ‘I generally wear suits, shirts with double cuffs, distinctive cufflinks and memorable ties.’
- ‘When choosing your tuxedo shirt, try to select one with French cuffs, which fold up and are fastened with cufflinks.’
- ‘He wore an elegantly tied white shirt, with ivory cufflinks shaped like pale embryos, and white stockings tapered with black satin slippers.’
- ‘She slowly began taking off his cufflinks and helping him unbutton his shirt.’
- ‘As well, a shirt with cufflinks and a heavily starched collar is often seen as more formal than one without the aforementioned extras.’
- ‘Although I'm basically a sleeves-rolled-up boy, I do miss wearing cufflinks sometimes.’
- ‘I loved the display cases with retro jewelry, pens, calculators, cufflinks, desk items and personal accessories.’
- ‘The arm that had grabbed me was clad in an old Victorian raven silk shirt with slightly draped sleeves coming into a neat cuff around the wrist with small silver cufflinks.’
- ‘He adjusted his collar, and I saw the cufflinks glint again.’
- ‘Dressed in a grey suit, a charcoal grey shirt with onyx cufflinks and a black and silver tie, he sat down at the table and motioned for the waiter to get him a glass of wine as well.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.