One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ball, usually a white one, that is to be struck with the cue in snooker, billiards, etc.
- ‘That is, it seems that the event of the cue ball's striking the nine ball, and the fact that the cue ball struck the nine ball, must have comparable effects.’
- ‘The objective is to pocket the object ball using only a center ball hit on the cue ball.’
- ‘If you address the cue ball wrong and miss the shot, don't blame the cue ball, or the stick.’
- ‘They never told me how to aim or what to expect of the cue ball after shooting.’
- ‘Stroke through the cue ball with just enough speed to send the object ball one length of the table.’
- ‘This means that the player must be extremely precise is shooting the object ball and placing the cue ball.’
- ‘I guess it refers to the instant that the tip comes into contact with the cue ball.’
- ‘Now after you break the balls, your cue ball may or may not be in the center of the table.’
- ‘Then he said that he could shoot the cue ball down the table and hit the top ball before touching the other two.’
- ‘For example, when guests play pool, the game keeps track of the balls on the table, and the guests always strike the cue ball first.’
- ‘It all comes down to the ability to deliver a crisp clear hit on the cue ball.’
- ‘I drew the cue back, striking the cue ball with force, rocketing it into the formation of colored balls.’
- ‘The point is, my hit pattern on the cue ball will indicate a lot of bottom hits.’
- ‘If you you nearly scratch in the lower left pocket, you are not putting enough left spin on the cue ball.’
- ‘When you impart any spin on the cue ball, that spin is transferred to the object ball.’
- ‘If you are not a master of the fundamentals, you will never strike the cue ball the same way.’
- ‘Each side has five red balls or five white balls, one of each color being a marked cue ball.’
- ‘A player makes a cannon by hitting the object balls with the cue ball.’
- ‘I stood up as the cue ball hit the 8 ball, successfully sending it into the corner pocket, making me the first to win against my brother.’
- ‘Shoot center ball and send the cue ball all the way down the rail into the top corner pocket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.