One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the gourd family (Cucurbitaceae ), which includes melon, pumpkin, squash, and cucumber.
- ‘The book devotes 30 pages to cucurbits, from giant pumpkins through marrows, zucchinis and cucumbers to back-scratching loofahs.’
- ‘In Iowa, she's overseeing organic research in field corn, sweet corn, soybeans, grapes, peppers, cucurbits, and medicinal herbs, as well as multi-year, multi-crop organic systems projects.’
- ‘Greenhouse shelves are brimming, but make room for cucurbit starts (squash, melons and gourds).’
- ‘Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca fuliginea.’
- ‘Plant cucurbit seeds such as pumpkin, cucumber, melons, etc.’
Late Middle English: from Old French cucurbite, from Latin cucurbita.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.