Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A long, green-skinned fruit with watery flesh, usually eaten raw in salads or pickled.
- ‘The lamb tenderloin, garnished with minted yogurt and cucumbers, was a successful riff on the classic Greek dish.’
- ‘Just before serving, add the tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, parsley, mint and olives, and mix well.’
- ‘Twenty years ago, we started to teach people that pickling cucumbers are wonderful in salads.’
- ‘The most famous Andalusian dish is gazpacho, a cold soup made with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and olive oil.’
- ‘We ate it with rice and a salad with radishes and cucumbers.’
- ‘The side salad was so fresh and wonderful: it was a grain with cucumbers, tomato, onion mixed in all dressed with oil and vinegar.’
- ‘The pork sauce mixes pork with pickled cucumbers.’
- ‘Serve the roast beef with a salad of fresh vegetables, pickled cucumbers and chopped celery.’
- ‘Ingredients such as feta cheese, yogurt, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and eggplant are commonly used.’
- ‘A cool cucumber and yoghurt dip is a refreshing accompaniment for grilled chops.’
- ‘Opt for water-bearing vegetables, such as squash, zucchini, asparagus, leafy green salads, tomatoes and cucumbers.’
- ‘There are salad sandwiches wrapped in black plastic bags, hummus, pickled cucumbers sealed into an old plastic margarine tub and home-made goat's cheese.’
- ‘I had a thinly-sliced cucumber salad with shallots, a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese and pine kernels.’
- ‘It was called Jerusalem Salad and it had tomatoes and cucumbers, olive oil, lemon, olives and goat cheese.’
- ‘Eat with crusty bread and perhaps a tomato and cucumber salad.’
- ‘Lay an oyster on top of the cucumber salad and garnish with the remoulade.’
- ‘No breakfast is complete without a large bowl of finely chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and parsley tossed together and drenched in olive oil, a mainstay of the Israeli kitchen.’
- ‘I chose a green salad with cucumbers and lettuce, perfect with some salt and the balsamic vinegar, and my companion ordered a green salad with tuna.’
- ‘Without wiping the knife, they begin slicing the cucumbers and tomatoes for the salad, tossing it all together, then triumphantly setting it down on the table.’
- ‘Pickling cucumbers are available almost exclusively during the summer.’
2The climbing plant of the gourd family which yields cucumbers, native to the Chinese Himalayan region. It is widely cultivated but very rare in the wild.
- ‘The simplest method of using the mesh is for straight fencing and trellising to support tomatoes, beans and other vining plants, such as cucumbers and even melons.’
- ‘Almost all vining crops will benefit from pruning - winter squash, pumpkins, melons, cucumbers and tomatoes.’
- ‘I plant hybrid tomatoes, but grow heirloom chick peas, fava beans, lettuce, and cucumbers (to list but a few).’
- ‘In the summer find burdock, turnips, cucumbers, mint, lemon grass, Chinese chive, soybeans and coriander.’
- ‘Grow climbing plants such as pole beans and cucumbers on trellising at the back of the bed.’
- ‘April is a great time to plant peppers, cucumbers, eggplants, squash and heat-loving okra.’
- ‘The old walled garden is completely overgrown now but between 1880 and 1920 melons, cucumbers, vines and figs grew there.’
- ‘Smaller flowers on cucumbers and melons can be pollinated by removing the entire male flower.’
- ‘But then a trip to Australia opened my eyes to the infinite uses and varieties of pumpkin, squash and gourd, all of which belong to the same family as cucumbers, marrows and melons.’
- ‘Plant melons, cucumbers, and other frequent water-users along one drip line or soaker hose; irrigate regularly.’
- ‘Each plant has one drip line, with the exception of cucumbers, which have three lines due to their large leaf surface area that loses more water than do the tomatoes and peppers.’
- ‘Plant vegetables that need a bit of shade such as cucumbers and lettuce next to tall tomato plants or trellises.’
- ‘She planted pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, and much more.’
- ‘If seeds begin to mature inside beans, peas, cucumbers, and summer squash, the plants will stop making new fruits.’
- ‘The peas and other vines won't bother each other so go ahead and plan on planting cucumbers, melons or even squash together on the same trellis.’
- ‘Gourds, pumpkins, cucumbers and all their allied species dominated.’
- ‘Wax gourd, watermelon, cucumber and towel gourd are full of water and classified as cool food.’
- ‘It's also a great companion plant to cucumbers and onions if you plant it among your vegetables.’
- ‘The easiest way to support vine crops like cucumbers and tomatoes is to tie their stems to polyethylene string running from a support bar attached to ceiling hooks or from a support frame.’
- ‘Care should be taken to separate as widely as possible, melons, squashes, pumpkins, cucumbers, and others of that family, as any one grown near the other may ruin both as to flavor.’
Late Middle English: from Old French cocombre, coucombre, from Latin cucumis, cucumer-.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.