One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bee which lays its eggs in the nest of another kind of bee, the young being raised and fed by the host.
- ‘Mated female cuckoo bees hibernate through the winter, and emerge in the spring later than their hosts.’
- ‘Female cuckoo bees hijack bumblebee colonies letting the workers raise their eggs for them.’
- ‘Typically, cuckoo bees that prey on solitary bees enter the nest to lay eggs while the host is out foraging.’
- ‘Look for cuckoo bees flying low over the ground and foliage, hunting for foraging and nesting victims.’
- ‘The cuckoo bees lay eggs in other bee nests and let the host bees take care of their young.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.