Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bird resembling a roller, with an iridescent green cap, back, wings, and tail, found only in Madagascar.Also called courol
- ‘Other endemics we can expect to see include: vangas, cuckoo-rollers, and Vasa parrots.’
- ‘Furthermore, the ground rollers, mesites and cuckoo-rollers are all endemic families and the couas, vangas and asities are endemic subfamilies.’
- ‘It is also a good place for bird watching, with Madagascar green sunbird, cuckoo-rollers, blue pigeons, couas, Madagascar falcon, vasa parrots and many others.’
- ‘There are some extraordinary ancient relict bird species on Madagascar, such as the groundrollers, cuckoo-rollers, and mesites.’
- ‘Birds of Africa include the emerald cuckoo, the helmetbird, the village weaver, and the cuckoo-roller.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.