One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fifth longitudinal vein from the anterior edge of an insect's wing.
- ‘The first direct observation of nucleotide variation on the fourth chromosome was an analysis of polymorphism at the cubitus interruptus gene in D. melanogaster and simulans.’
- ‘The numbers of yellow-white matroclinous exceptions observed were as follows: yellow-white females, yellow-white cubitus interruptus eyeless Russian females, and yellow-white sparkling poliert females.’
- ‘Splitting of the microveins of the cubitus anterior gives the margin a ragged appearance.’
- ‘However, multiple cell lines, including a monosomic X cell line, may be detected, and somatic features of Turner syndrome, such as short stature, webbed neck, cubitus valgus, and renal malformation, may be present.’
- ‘Sequencing of a kilobase region of the gene cubitus interruptus Dominant in 10 lines of D. melanogaster showed no nucleotide substitutions.’
Early 19th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.