Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The determination of the volume of a solid.
- ‘This program can be used to answer questions which arise when constructing cubature formulas.’
- ‘This survey collects together theoretical results in the area of numerical cubature over triangles and is a vehicle for a current bibliography.’
- ‘In addition, the cubature formulas are universal: their error is almost optimal in two different scales of function spaces.’
- ‘He applied his theories of generalised functions and of embeddings of function spaces to cubature formulas.’
- ‘The method of cubature was used to determine the discharges throughout the Strait.’
Late 17th century: from the verb cube, on the pattern of quadrature.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.