Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The determination of the volume of a solid.
- ‘He applied his theories of generalised functions and of embeddings of function spaces to cubature formulas.’
- ‘The method of cubature was used to determine the discharges throughout the Strait.’
- ‘This program can be used to answer questions which arise when constructing cubature formulas.’
- ‘In addition, the cubature formulas are universal: their error is almost optimal in two different scales of function spaces.’
- ‘This survey collects together theoretical results in the area of numerical cubature over triangles and is a vehicle for a current bibliography.’
Late 17th century: from the verb cube, on the pattern of quadrature.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.