Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A moderately high straight-sided heel on a shoe or boot.
wedge, wedge heel, stiletto, stiletto heel, platform heel, spike heel, cuban heel, kitten heel, louis heel, stacked heelView synonyms
- ‘The suits were outrageously bad so I went for the leather jacket and the Cuban heels which were fantastic.’
- ‘Some have a Cuban heel and some have outlandish fancy tassels hanging from them.’
- ‘You have a tendency to march to a different beat, but this month you need to get in step with your psychic drummer, and for this you will need new shoes - brown ones with a Cuban heel.’
- ‘Wyoming, a permanent state of Stetson head and Cuban heel, was and still is the heart of the Wild West.’
- ‘The best kind are those with Cuban heels - you can't beat that.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.