Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic violet dye, related to rosaniline, used as a stain in microscopy and as an antiseptic in the treatment of skin infections.
- ‘These stains include Congo red, thioflavin T, and crystal violet stains.’
- ‘The supernatant was decanted, the cells were fixed with 95% ethanoliglacial acetic acid and stained with crystal violet.’
- ‘New and practical staining techniques on frozen tissues, such as modified trichrome and crystal violet stains, are welcome additions.’
- ‘Results of conventional biochemical tests: Of the 51 culture isolates, 10 showed growth within two to three days on MacConkey agar without crystal violet and were designated as rapid growers.’
- ‘About 1 week later, the cultures were fixed with methanol and stained with crystal violet.’
- ‘The culture medium was removed 72 h later, and the cells were fixed with 10% neutral buffered formalin and stained with 0.1% crystal violet for 30 min.’
- ‘Each section was immersed for 1 min in an aqueous 0.01% solution of crystal violet that stained the thickened cells in the endocarp and the vascular tissue violet.’
- ‘The cells were fixed by methanol, stained by crystal violet, and the number of plaques was counted.’
- ‘The first dye is crystal violet and is fixed or mordanted in Gram positive bacteria by iodine.’
- ‘After 7-10 days growth, colonies were fixed and stained with a solution containing 0.35% crystal violet in 35% ethanol.’
- ‘Such bacteria do not stain purple with crystal violet and are known as Gram-negative.’
- ‘Dishes were then rinsed with PBS and stained with 0.5% crystal violet in 20% ethanol.’
- ‘The cells were allowed to migrate for 5 hr; the migratory cells attached to the bottom surface of the membrane were stained with 0.1% crystal violet for 20 min at room temperature.’
- ‘Plates were incubated for 14 days after illumination, and cell survival was determined by counting numbers of colonies, after fixation with 70% EtOH and staining with crystal violet.’
- ‘After 7 days all dishes were stained with crystal violet and the colonies were counted.’
- ‘After incubation the agar layer was removed by aspiration, and the monolayer was stained with 0.1% crystal violet in ethanol for at least 15 min.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.