Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The search for and study of animals whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated, such as the Loch Ness monster and the yeti.
- ‘A study of cryptozoology gave me nightmares for weeks when I was younger.’
- ‘Some more cryptozoology - this time it's lake monsters in China.’
- ‘It features stories on such topics as anomalous astronomical phenomena, anomalies in the physical sciences, scientific hoaxes and cryptozoology.’
- ‘Perhaps it's time for cryptozoology to come in from the cold.’
- ‘I have a strong interest in cryptozoology, but I prefer to pair it with, rather than set it into opposition, with what physiological, zoological and forensic knowledge I possess.’
- ‘For many years I had a keen interest in the supernatural, UFOs, cryptozoology, etc.’
- ‘Similarly, the best criticisms in areas such as ufology and cryptozoology come from critics within those protosciences.’
- ‘But paranormal research and cryptozoology are littered with cases that were deemed irrefutable evidence of the paranormal, only to full apart upon further investigation or hoaxer confessions.’
- ‘It might be worth asking how ‘real’ that is, though - a lot of cryptozoology shares a border with folklore studies.’
- ‘Would attempts to track and rediscover presumed-extinct species fall into the realm of cryptozoology?’
- ‘But we all have our weaknesses, and mine seems to be cryptozoology.’
- ‘It has a track record of exposing frauds, gives space to sceptical views, and sparks debate about controversial subjects - such as ‘Is cryptozoology a science?’’
- ‘Exhibits included displays showing skeptical explanations of paranormal claims such as UFOs, the purported moon landing hoax, cryptozoology, and astrology.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.