Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A digital currency in which encryption techniques are used to regulate the generation of units of currency and verify the transfer of funds, operating independently of a central bank.‘decentralized cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin now provide an outlet for personal wealth that is beyond restriction and confiscation’
- ‘What does your cryptocurrency allow people to do that they could not do otherwise, and how does it help them do existing tasks more quickly or cheaply?’
- ‘If cryptocurrencies are like other speculative activities, the early players and the big players benefit to the detriment of the late entrants and the small players.’
- ‘States will undoubtedly resist the spread of cryptocurrencies.’
- ‘Most successful cryptocurrencies have an active community where people devote time with no expectation of payment.’
- ‘The majority of cryptocurrency activity still appears to be speculative.’
- ‘A group of online entrepreneurs were planning to launch the new cryptocurrency on Thursday.’
- ‘Against all wisdom, I had invested $1,000 in bitcoin, the cryptocurrency whose value had been skyrocketing since the start of the year.’
- ‘Even with recent fluctuations, the total value of the cryptocurrency is still over eight billion USD.’
- ‘A cryptocurrency may be hackable, but it can also be really, really, really hard to hack—harder than robbing a bank.’
- ‘Bitcoin was the first widely used cryptocurrency, but few people know it is not the only one.’
- ‘As with all cryptocurrencies, price is based on supply and demand.’
Early 21st century: from crypto- + currency.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.