Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A digital currency in which encryption techniques are used to regulate the generation of units of currency and verify the transfer of funds, operating independently of a central bank.‘decentralized cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin now provide an outlet for personal wealth that is beyond restriction and confiscation’
- ‘A group of online entrepreneurs were planning to launch the new cryptocurrency on Thursday.’
- ‘Against all wisdom, I had invested $1,000 in bitcoin, the cryptocurrency whose value had been skyrocketing since the start of the year.’
- ‘A cryptocurrency may be hackable, but it can also be really, really, really hard to hack—harder than robbing a bank.’
- ‘If cryptocurrencies are like other speculative activities, the early players and the big players benefit to the detriment of the late entrants and the small players.’
- ‘States will undoubtedly resist the spread of cryptocurrencies.’
- ‘What does your cryptocurrency allow people to do that they could not do otherwise, and how does it help them do existing tasks more quickly or cheaply?’
- ‘Even with recent fluctuations, the total value of the cryptocurrency is still over eight billion USD.’
- ‘Bitcoin was the first widely used cryptocurrency, but few people know it is not the only one.’
- ‘Most successful cryptocurrencies have an active community where people devote time with no expectation of payment.’
- ‘The majority of cryptocurrency activity still appears to be speculative.’
- ‘As with all cryptocurrencies, price is based on supply and demand.’
Early 21st century: from crypto- + currency.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.