One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Infestation with a yeastlike fungus, resulting in tumours in the lungs and sometimes spreading to the brain. It occurs chiefly in the United States.
The fungus is Cryptococcus neoformans, subdivision Deuteromycotina (or class Teliomycetes)Also called torulosis
- ‘Other infections healing with multiple residual calcifications include cryptococcosis, nocardiosis, actinomycosis, and coccidiodomycosis.’
- ‘In contrast, no high-risk geographical area exists for cryptococcosis.’
- ‘No acid-fast staining was seen in cases of cryptococcosis or candidiasis.’
- ‘A similar phenomenon is seen with other infections, such as leprosy, leishmaniasis, and fungal diseases including cryptococcosis and sporotrichosis.’
- ‘It's likely you won't notice any signs or symptoms after contracting cryptococcosis.’
- ‘These patients were not treated for cryptococcosis; only one of them, age 82 years, died.’
- ‘The epidemiology of cryptococcosis has changed over the years because of the AIDS epidemic.’
- ‘Other fungal infections to consider include cryptococcosis, blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis and sporotrichosis.’
- ‘Leishmania may be associated with dermatofibroma, psoriasis, Reiter's syndrome, bacillary angiomatosis, cryptococcosis and oral aphthous ulceration.’
- ‘No data exist on which to base specific recommendations for children, but lifelong suppressive therapy with fluconazole after an episode of cryptococcosis is appropriate.’
- ‘No evidence shows that exposure to pigeon droppings is associated with an increased risk for acquiring cryptococcosis.’
- ‘In conclusion, the results of the present series showed that the incidence of cryptococcosis is on the rise in this part of India and this can be attributed to an increase in AIDS cases.’
- ‘Disseminated cryptococcosis begins as an infection in the respiratory tract that spreads hematogenously from the primary pulmonary site to the skin, prostate, liver, kidneys, bone, and peritoneum.’
- ‘The need for prophylaxis or suppressive therapy for other fungal infections should be considered in making decisions about prophylaxis for cryptococcosis.’
- ‘More importantly, an increasing frequency of both HIV drug resistance and new infections suggests that morbidity and mortality due to cryptococcosis could increase again in the near future.’
1930s: from modern Latin Cryptococcus (part of the binomial of the fungus) + -osis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.